By Jennifer Pak - BBC News, Kuala Lumpur
Those who believe that English is important for their children's future either send their kids to expensive private schools or to Singapore, where the government has been credited as being far-sighted for adopting the language of its former colonial master.
Nearly three-quarters of the population in Singapore are ethnic Chinese but English is the national language.
Many believe that this has helped the city-state earn the title of being the easiest place to do business, by the World Bank.
However, the dominance of English is now being challenged by the rise of China in Singapore.
The Singapore Chinese Chamber Institute of Business has added Chinese classes for business use in recent years.
Students are being taught in Mandarin rather than the Hokkien dialect spoken by the older Chinese immigrants.
These courses have proved popular, ever since the government began providing subsidies for Singaporeans to learn Chinese in 2009 during the global financial crisis.
"The government pushed to provide them with an opportunity to upgrade themselves so as to prepare themselves for the economic upturn," says chamber spokesperson Alwyn Chia.
Some businesses are already desperate for Chinese speakers.
Lee Han Shih, who runs a multimedia company, says English is becoming less important to him financially because he is taking western clients to do business in China.
"So obviously you need to learn English but you also need to know Chinese," says Mr Lee.
As China's economic power grows, Mr Lee believes that Mandarin will overtake English. In fact, he has already been seeing hints of this.
"The decline of the English language probably follows the decline of the US dollar.
"If the renminbi is becoming the next reserve currency then you have to learn Chinese."
More and more, he says, places like Brazil and China are doing business in the renminbi, not the US dollar, so there is less of a need to use English.
Bilingualism
Indeed, China's clout is growing in South East Asia, becoming the region's top trading partner.
But to say that Mandarin will rival English is a "bit of a stretch", says Manoj Vohra, Asia director at the Economist Intelligence Unit.
Even companies in China, who prefer to operate in Chinese, are looking for managers who speak both Mandarin and English if they want to expand abroad, he says.
"They tend to act as their bridges."
So the future of English is not a question of whether it will be overtaken by Mandarin, but whether it will co-exist with Chinese, says Vohra.
He believes bilingualism will triumph in South East Asia.
It is a sound economic argument, but in Vietnam's case, there is resistance to learning Mandarin.
The country may share a border with China, but the Vietnamese government's choice to not emphasise Mandarin is an emotional one, says leading economist Le Dang Doanh.
"All the streets in Vietnam are named according to generals and emperors that have been fighting against the Chinese invasion for 2000 years," he says.
Tensions flared up again last May over the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
Anti-Chinese sentiment means that young Vietnamese are choosing to embrace English - the language of a defeated enemy. Many families still bear the psychological scars from the Vietnam War with the United States.
Yet there is no animosity towards English because the founding father of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh, made a clear distinction between the so-called American imperialists who were bombarding Vietnam and the American people, says Le Dang Doanh.
Many Vietnamese who have lost family members during the war are now studying in America, he says.
"We never forget any victim in the past but in order to industrialise and normalise a country, Vietnam needs to speak English."
The Vietnamese government has an ambitious goal to ensure all young people leaving school by 2020 will have a good grasp of the English language.
But it's not hard for young Vietnamese to accept English. For some, the language offers a sense of freedom in Vietnam, where the one-party communist state retains a tight grip on all media.
In a public square in central Hanoi, a group of young men are break-dancing to the pulsing beats of western hip hop. Ngoc Tu, 20, says he only listens to English music.
"The Ministry of Culture has banned a lot of [Vietnamese] songs and any cultural publications that refer to freedom or rebellion but... English songs are not censored."
It is debatable whether English or Mandarin will dominate in South East Asia in the future. There are arguments for both on the economic front.
But culturally, there is no dispute.
Even Mandarin language enthusiasts like Singaporean businessman Mr Lee, says that English will remain popular so long as Hollywood exists.
The success of movies such as Kung Fu Panda, an American production about a Chinese animal, has caused a lot of anxiety in China, he says.
There have been many cartoons in China about pandas before, but none had reached commercial success, says Mr Lee.
"The moment Kung Fu Panda hit the cinemas everybody watched it. They bought the merchandise and they learned English."
Taken from the BBC News web site.
English and mandarin the two most spoken languages in the entire world. I believe the reason why both Mandarin and English are the most spoken language in the world is because of money. The article suggests companies all over the world are looking for bilingual workers who are able to speak both English and Mandarin as both the USA and China, are the two biggest economies in the world. Although financially both languages will have more speakers in the future I believe for day-to-day agenda English will be the future of the world. English is a far easier language to learn the alphabets that the language use is more similar to other languages in the world as for mandarin you have to both remember the different characters that are used for different words. Another reason why I believe that English will be far more popular is because of the success of English speaking movies from both Hollywood and the UK into becoming mainstream entertainment all over the world even in countries where little English is spoken. As for Mandarin-speaking movies, the demand is far smaller only a few have had success in countries that barely speak mandarin.
ReplyDeleteThis article was quite interesting to read. Mandarin, as a global language, has been a topic that remains debated. The article above states that the stimulus growth of the Chinese Economic empire and the decrease of the US Dollar has impacted the growing relevance of Mandarin in the global community. Those who are interested in entering the Chinese market will need to ensure that they are capable of communicating in both English and Mandarin.
ReplyDeleteHowever, as questioned in the article above, will Mandarin rival the English language?
Since the 18th century, English has become the global language through colonization and geographical dominance. Therefore, to say that Mandarin will rival the English language is quite a stretch. The starking growth in the Chinese booming economic market does impact the growing relevance of the Mandarin language. However, we need to take into consideration other aspects, not just economic factors. Yes, Mandarin will have and has had significant relevance in economic sectors of the world, the English language, politically, economically, culturally, and technologically, still dominates the linguistic market. One of the reasons being, English has become a language that belongs to everyone. Meaning, though China is on its way to hold the number one position of economic power, this factor alone is not enough to attain linguistic dominance.
Mandarin is not the language of the future. “But Alif China is the biggest and superlative country in Asia, if not the world.” Yes, China is the biggest and considered as an influential country. But I don’t see Mandarin as the language of the future. Why? In order for Mandarin to take the lead, an event of a massive scale and somehow benefited China needs to happen. And I could only think of two events. War and a collapse in the world’s economy, all of which I hope will not happen.
ReplyDeleteI’m not denying the growth and how important Chinese has become in the recent years. But everything in this world is tied up to politics. And I’m not seeing a lot of countries having the nicest with China. A lot of countries condemn China’s action on how they run the internal and international affairs. From their dispute with USA, the communist party they have, their treatments to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Uyghur, and now Covif-19. I think a lot of countries will want to remove their ties to China. Therefore, the uses of Chinese will not be crucial.
Regardless of what mainland China do or allegedly do, Mandarin is one of the important languages along with Spanish and French. But it will not dethrone English for the global use.
This article is so interesting because it talks about something that I am so afraid of right now. I am a Chinese Indonesian who couldn’t speak Mandarin fluently. I studied Mandarin from when I was at kinder garden until middle school. I know a view mandarin vocabularies but It is difficult to elaborate those vocabulary into words. The worst part of learning Mandarin is remembering “Han Zi”. Han Zi are logograms developed for the writing of Chinese. There are lots of Han Zi that I have to remember back then and to be honest I don’t enjoy it. I generally don’t enjoy learning Mandarin because of the complexity of the language. Now that China is rising, I feared Mandarin replacing English. But, after I read this article, I felt relieved because there is a possibility of Mandarin co-existing with English. Good thing that I have improved my English all this time because it is still going to be useful in the coming days. The best way for me to learn Mandarin I think is by going to a Mandarin-speaking country for a few months or years. Other than that, watching lots of Mandarin-language films could also improve my Mandarin skills, the same as if I am watching an English language film. I don’t want to learn how to write in Mandarin, but I want to be able to speak Mandarin fluently.
ReplyDeleteThis article sparks up a quite interesting topic to be discussed, which is " Will Mandarin overtake English as the main language to be used both in business and everyday life ? " Many parents nowadays have empasized the importance of learning both Chinese and English languange, even since a young age my mom has enrolled me in extra courses to learn both of those languanges. It is very important to learn both of them but I think regarding how Chinese language or even the country itself will overtake English and the USA is has a very long road ahead, Chinese has grow exponentially in a very short period of time even now the country itself has rivaled the USA as a super power country.
ReplyDeleteSeeing how China will overtake the US is very possible but in my opinion it will take the Chinese quite sometime but for the future itself we must not learn only one of those language but learning both of them will be very important. The next couple years countries and businesses will have transaction not in Dollar but in Chinese Yuan and even now in many Asian country or even like the article has stated even Brazil has transition slowly into using Yuan. Making sure that we can at least communicate with Chinese language is very important and it will be an advantage for sure in the society, big companies will hire people with the skills to communicate in both language. Rather than overtaking English or English will be the more important language I think that learning both of them and can communicate with both is the best way possible now and even if China can overtake the US the transition for those who learn Chinese will be very easy and convenient.
The concept of Mandarin becoming the language of the future has been something that I have thought about recently. In my opinion, it is not a matter of how, but a matter of when. The signs are already there based on their way of exploiting their power based on their economic power. The idea of debt trapping towards African countries has been one of these signs in which they can use their economic power to exploit their "belt and road initiative". This initiative has applied to many countries including Indonesia and it is designed so that China has the tools and resources to gain influence on other countries. Xi Jinping vows to spend 1 trillion dollars on its "belt and road initiative" which includes infrastructures, education, and aid. Given this information, it is entirely possible that in the future that Chinese political power can exert its dominance to nudge the use of mandarin. Also having seen the situation such as the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, the trend of the English language might soon begin its downhill trend.
ReplyDeleteIn my view, this topic referred once again to the great “war” between China and the US. Both nation is currently trying to mark their influence in every life sector on earth, including language. Currently, and has been so for a long time that English is the global language. But talking about would there be a shift in the international language in the future, I would say it is possible, but not in the very near future. I think for the next 20 years or so, Chinese language would still be a nice to know language, by this I mean it would be great for you to be able to communicate in Chinese, especially if you live in Asia, where the influence of China and Chinese- speaking country is big. My suggestion regarding this topic is starting from now, everyone should increase their Chinese-fluency level, to be able to survive if at one point in the future, Mandarin is declared as a global language.
ReplyDeleteThe thought of mandarin would be the most spoken language in the world is just a delayed reality. In my opinion, the main reason people start speaking mandarin is for the business. Business people who speak Mandarin have a huge advantage in tapping into the Chinese market. It is much easier to develop all-important relationship if you can speak Mandarin. Chinese is a difficult language to learn for English speakers, but the language is foreseen to be one of the languages of the future because of China’s massive economic shift, from being a close-door economy to increasing national and international trade and creating treaties with various countries and making inroads in the field of technology and science. China’s economy is growing rapidly and Chinese companies are present in several countries across the globe. This is not surprising considering how large the Chinese population is. Thirty-eight countries speak Chinese, with 1.296 billion total speakers. If you’re considering Mandarin Chinese (Putonghua) alone, it is spoken in 13 countries, with a total of 1.074 billion speakers. About 70% of all users of the Chinese language speak Mandarin.
ReplyDeleteBased on the growing economic power of China, I don't think it's a wrong opinion to think that one of the main languages to use in the future to be Chinese or mandarin. However personally I don't feel like English will go away as the main language used for most things in daily life anytime soon. Just because the fact that in western countries and some of south east asian countries the language has been established or is used commonly. The importance of learning the mandarin language will definitely be a sought out skill by most companies due to Chinas economic power but in day to day use English is just too rooted in to the day to day life of most people in their daily life. Not to mention most communication for the younger generation happens on social media and most of these social media companies are western so the thought of the need to learn Mandarin being urgent doesn't feel right. Moreover most of the established educational institutions like Cambridge uses english as their language.
ReplyDeleteThis topic on whether English will stay as the dominant international language, or if Mandarin will overtake and replace it, is a very hot topic nowadays, especially here in Indonesia where we can feel the influences of both English and Mandarin speaking international powers in our own, figurative ‘back yard’.
ReplyDeleteFrom the article, we know that some of our ASEAN neighbors have already started leaning towards one or the other language, with Singapore now leaning more towards Mandarin, although historically has been a predominantly English using nation. Meanwhile, countries like Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia lean more towards English.
It’s going to be very important within the next few decades in Indonesia to decide if we are going to lean in favor of English or Mandarin, or maybe just stay somewhere in between. This is because both China and the USA are Indonesia’s largest trade partners, and having the ability to communicate effectively with both parties is going to be crucial for our benefit. Politically, these two powers also hold great influence on the world stage – so deepening our knowledge on both factions would be beneficial.
In my opinion, nowadays young Indonesians are getting more familiar with the English language, mostly from cultural influences, like western movies, music, social-media, etc. and the inclusion of mandatory English lessons in all Indonesian schools. However, proficiency in the Mandarin language is still very uncommon in Indonesia. I believe that the current course of English spread in Indonesia is good, and we should continue improving – but also spread more awareness of how important Mandarin would be in the future, and sometime in the near future, maybe even implement basic Mandarin classes in schools.
I learned both English and Mandarin from when I was in kindergarten until elementary school. But upon entering junior high school, I dropped Mandarin and only continued to study English. One of the reason for it was because of how hard Mandarin is to learn based on my experience. Of course you have to memorize the hanzi of each word but you also have to remember how to pronounce it correctly. A word has to be spelled out correctly with the right tone as it determines the meaning behind each word. There was this one time where I spent a good fifteen minutes just trying to say wŏ which means I in Mandarin. After that encounter I was easily demotivated to learn the language as right after that moment, the teacher continued to tell me how it took her almost seven years to study Mandarin and how he believed it is a language of the future. I personally do believe that it is a language of the future considering how big China’s population and influence. I also agree with the opinion that being bilingual in the language would be beneficial in the work aspect. But right now I’m still reluctant to continue my study in Mandarin as the thought of having to study it for such a long time haunts me.
ReplyDeleteEnglish or Mandarin, which one will be the most spoken language in the future? I think that is still unpredictable. As we know, America and China are trying to become superpower country. Almost all of the commodities are controlled by these two nations. Before, my parents only told me to learn English because it will be very useful if you go abroad or do international business. Then, how about Mandarin? Elder people didn’t expect that China will be a great country like now. They created a lot of innovations either in technology industry or Krypto currency. Many major materials to produce some items are imported from China. Therefore, we know how fast their changes into a bigger country are. Having this information, I think studying Mandarin is as important as mastering English. So, rather than debating which one is going to be number one language, we should be adaptive to this current condition by learning both languages.
ReplyDeleteI believe that this statement might be true. Although english is a global language I’m sure Mandarin will try to take over as the global language. This is probably going to take years maybe decades, to become a global language considering that english education is still used all around the world. The notion that mandarin will take over as a global language is actually very unique, this is because although mandarin isn't compulsory in many countries, the existence of ethnic chinese all around the world is very large. As a child I was also encouraged to learn mandarin, although it didn't go that well, this is probably why most ethnic chinese who have migrated still want their descendants to remember their roots. Now that there is a lot of anti-chinese sentiment due to COVID-19, Higher concentration camps, Hong Kong, ect; I doubt people are actually enthusiastic to learn Mandarin. I can see this happening decades into the future because of all the influence China is giving to business’ and countries all around the world. Maybe in the future we will have to choose which language to learn or which countries we want to negotiate with considering the worlds influence is going to be split once again between east and west
ReplyDeleteFrom the article above, I strongly agree with the statement that said, “to say that Mandarin will rival English is a bit of a stretch.” Don’t get me wrong, China is very prosperous and developed, in fact, it has been identified as one of the emerging superpowers, there is even the possibility that sooner or later, China will be the number one superpower. But to make mandarin the number one language is a whole different ball game. First thing first, if China wants mandarin to be the number one language, it must gain influence on most of the countries in the world. This might be easy for China if it is towards third world countries, but it’s definitely going to be much harder towards first world countries, which tend to be more reluctant. Another thing that it’s going to have to do is to somehow make mandarin easier to learn. In English, there are only 26 letters, in mandarin however, there are more than 50,000 characters, though, according to BBC, an educated Chinese person will “only” know about 8000. At the end of the day, we can only guess what will happen in the future, but for me, my money’s on English.
ReplyDeleteEnglish and mandarin have always been two of the most possible languages to be used by all people in the future. But for now, it is clear that English is the international language that eases the communication from one person to another one in a different country. When I was in 6th grade, I almost got into a school that focuses mainly on Chinese language as my parents told me that in the future, China will be the most successful country when it comes to the world's economy. By learning its language, I could interact easily with their people and this is helpful in order to build relationships including businesses or other purposes. However, when I started studying the mandarin language further, I found it very difficult to make even one sentence compare to English language. In mandarin, the characters of the letters are not like most languages, which consist of English alphabets (a, b, c, d, until z). Instead, the language requires people to write what is called a Hanzi. Before learning mandarin and planning to make it a language of the future, people should first examine the difficulty of learning it. For me, I think that learning on how to write is harder than to listen and understand it. This is, again, due to how individuals should learn to write the Chinese character or Hanzi. Although China’s Mandarin is considered to be one of the future languages, I think that English language would still hold its place in the future, especially as an international language.
ReplyDeleteHaving Mandarin as a global language has been a topic that is popular at the moment. Personally, I have learned both Mandarin and English since I was in primary school up to middle school. However, in high school I didnt learn Mandarin anymore since my school doesnt have that as a subject. Mandarin starts to be used by a lot of people all over the world because of its growing economy and the increase in the amount of businesses in China. China is the largest manufacturing economy in the world as well as the largest exporter of goods in the world. Due to this, a lot people starts to learn Mandarin and it become really common that business owners are able to speak Mandarin so that they can communicate with their partners and build relationship with them. However, I think the notion that Mandarin is going to take over English as a global language would not happen anytime soon. Most entertainment such as movies usually have English as a subtitles since it is easy to understand. English is way easier to understand because its pronunciation and vocabulary is simpler than Mandarin. Therefore, I think that English will remain a global language even if there is an increase in people that are able to understand Mandarin.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that English and Mandarin are the most used language In the world. The reasons are, Chinese people tend to do migration all over countries especially for doing business, also people who speaks english are not only from America, Europeans and South East Asians are tend to communicate in english. Besides, Chinese and American are countries that are big and developed so probably they had been influenced many countries to at least doing business with them.
ReplyDeleteBut, do i think that only Mandarin and English are going to be the future language of the world? I might say no. The reason that came up to my mind is,i expect that in the future, every countries especially Indonesia had been developed and will be using our language proudly to communicate inside and outside countries. Other than that, i think English will still be the language bridge to help society communicate. Since in Indonesia, especially in South Jakarta, there has been a phenomenon that will call someone who are talking mixed Bahasa and English a “Jaksel Kids”. I do believe that Bahasa can be use in the future as other countries “business language”.
I agree that English and Mandarin are the two most spoken language in the world right now. I have learned two of these langauge since primary school and still couldn’t speak or write any of Mandarin until now. I don’t now exactly why I cant speak any of the Mandarin inspite all of those years studying Mandarin. Inspite these two language is the most spoken in the world, there is still not many people that speaks Mandarin comparing to English. Many people say that one day Mandarin will eventually take over as the most spoken and international language in the world. But in my prespective that thing will never happen because The majority langauge in the world right now is used to speak and pronounce word from the alphabet instead of “han zi” which is the of Mandarin letters or script. And the world is used to watch mainstream media coming from western countries that uses English language.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the usage and importance of the mandarin language will surely increase as the China’s economy is emerging, but I do not think that Mandarin will overtake the usage of the English language. Although China has proven to be one of the most crucial nation for the whole planet’s economy through trades of raw materials and manufacturing, a sector that China has yet to overcome is literature and visual arts. As we all realise, most of the movies present in theatres around the globe are spoken in English, TV and streamed shows are mostly spoken in English as well. This proves that the English speaking medium of arts are still dominant in the market share of this sector and since language is most effectively influenced by culture, the English language is still set to be dominant for the future. I believe that the Mandarin language will not overtake the usage of the English language until it has taken over the market share for the world’s pop culture.
ReplyDeleteI remembered when my parents told me to learn mandarin because they thought that mandarin will be a global language . And I immediately said no because I know how hard it is. I mean hard for me, someone who’s overwhelmed by the school assignment and not interested at mandarin at all. Here is the thing, any foreign language must be hard for a non-native, sort of. But I have this hypothesis that I can never have courage to learn mandarin.
ReplyDeleteWell, actually I know that mandarin is one of the possible languages to be the future international language or a second language. But I don’t think that it will happen, despite the unstoppable rise of China’s economy and how it can exceed the United States anytime soon. Well, Mandarin is a widely spoken language in the world but mainly because of large population of the native. Meanwhile, English has become an international language for many reasons and years for many reasonable reasons.
China is definitely going to be at the top of the food chain in the future as its economic growth keeps on rising at a rapid pace. Therefore, the usage of Mandarin will increase as well. However, I don’t think it will exceed the usage of the English Language since we’ve been using it as our international language for centuries. I don’t think it will change in the meantime as lots of people are not willing to step out from their comfort zone. I can’t blame them, Mandarin is probably one of the hardest languages out there. We need to be precise with everything, including our intonations. Nonetheless, it is important for us to learn Mandarin since language is the window of the world. It will help us to build stronger relationships and communication with our future acquaintances and partners.
DeleteI spent six years studying mandarin and I hated it. Back then, my parents were obsessed with the idea of becoming fluent in a language aside from english; it was frustrating and stressful. Of course, I acknowledge the importance of mandarin as a language but the question of whether or not it will become the language of the future to me should still be left unanswered. It’s the future we’re talking about and literally anything can happen. Who knows, maybe in another 20 to 30 years, Brazil would overtake China and instead of mandarin, portuguese would become the language of the future. My point is, the future is still a blur. Ironically, despite the things I say about our not-so-certain future, I am almost 100% convinced that english would most likely become the language of the future. Take the Netherlands for example. In my previous school, there was this one english teacher who came from the country and everyday, he would go on and on about how most dutch people don’t even speak dutch on a daily basis now. Yes, you guessed right, they speak english. It’s almost terrifying seeing how one country can exert that much influence over other countries around the world, not only economically but also culturally. The idea of english becoming the language of the future scares me, but it would not surprise me at all. Would it surprise any of you?
ReplyDeleteI am not surprised if English will be the future of the language because it has been applied in education institution, job application and even it is the language to communicate or even interact with foreigners. In the other hand the Chinese language I feel like it won't be the future language because it hasn't been reached out towards many countries but it has bee reached out to the ones who have Chinese ethnics background.
ReplyDeleteI guess the purpose of Chinese language in today's world is for the use of a business or job application that has relations towards Chinese industries or even to those who wants to study in China. I, myself as a person who speaks English as a second language does not have the motives to learn Chinese language since I don't have a future image that is involved with China but in the other hand I just try to learn the German language then I want to study in Germany. In the end it's all about the motives to have a purpose to study other language and at the currents of the school English will be the language that is needed in someone's voice.
I had learned Mandarin when I was in my 6th elementary school, and also in my Junior High School, in that my school was obligating the students to learn mandarin and mandarin was a compulsory weekly subject that conducted every week. And when it came to studying Mandarin, me and my friends were interested at the beginning of the emerging that mandarin subject, but then we felt that it was a trivial subject that is not important for our future, because we felt that English is enough for us. After that eventually, I was having a language course that includes mandarin in the course, even it was not a compulsory course to take, I intended to try it again. Finally, I was having a different way of learning from the different mandarin teacher, and I thought that language is not an ability that we have, but it will be our assets in the future, and mandarin has a huge big prospect for whom that want to study the Mandarin language. We will get a big opportunity in our future career if we are able to speak mandarin, and of course, a big salary will follow us, she said. But unfortunately, the language is difficult.
ReplyDeleteThe English language has been a global language that is acknowledged around the world, yet its position has recently been threatened. Despite the fact that English is spoken everywhere and at any time we cannot disregard the notion that Mandarin is growing bigger and bigger. For example, nowadays, International schools in Indonesia have implemented Mandarin (other than English) as a language class/course in their curriculum. Hence, due to the growing power of China, Mandarin has become an essential language to learn and may even become the global language in the future. I personally believe that bilingualism may exist somehow, but English would still be the global language that bridges people from different countries. Along that, Mandarin would also be one, however, it would not overcome the power of English. This is because the mass majority has learned english in the past and will continue to learn it. Moreover, I believe English has been existing for a longer time compared to Mandarin. However, we are never sure of the future as evolution may happen anytime.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I’m not surprised with the idea that Mandarin language will exchange English. Since I was at the elementary school, my father suggests me to learn Mandarin even though I have no Chinese blood. Maybe he said that because he has many friends from Chinese ethnic and there are a lot of Chinese ethnic conglomerate. It means that if we able to speak Mandarin, especially as a business man, it can help us to broaden our network, market, or probably to develop the company we worked in or owned. As the trade war between America and China heat up, china must be in the process to find other way to keep and develop their economic individually without the US intervention. If China has found its strategic in trading, maybe America can lose the ability to dominate the market and China’s currency will be more valued. As we can see in Indonesia, especially in the big city, people that can speak Mandarin is also much and increasing. It means with the ability to speak Mandarin can be beneficial and also It can be our selling point to enrol at some companies.
ReplyDeleteAs a student, I could merely admit that I regret not putting effort into studying my Mandarin class back in my secondary school. I started realising that I am going to miss out on plenty opportunities in the future. My regret comes from the growth of China as a country and its very important role in the evolving world. Cases like the worlds dependence on China's mass production and labor skills, assures me that Asia could be competing at a higher level. With that, I also believe that Indonesia should and will play an important role in this geopolitical movement. On the other hand, I still have trouble understanding why most Indonesian refuses to accept China as a whole. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my own culture when it comes into other races, and most usually see this issue with one eye closed & often ironically claim to be pluralists. Hope Indonesians could take example from neighbouring countries and learn how to differentiate ignorance and accepting opportunities.
ReplyDeleteI am not surprised in any ways, that Mandarin has the prospect to “dethrone” English as the international language. As far as I know, China currently provides scholarships to students all around the world and I even know a lot of people that received it. Not only they are powerful in economics, they also try to spread their culture and language to influence everyone for example, by giving plenty scholarship as long as they pass the HSK 4/5 (It’s a mandarin proficiency test and works like TOEFL or IELTS). The second thing that makes it pretty possible is due to the Chinese diaspora and even today, Mandarin has the most speaker (including their dialects, for example Hokkien).
ReplyDeleteI grew up with the “pressure” to learn Mandarin from people around me, since they knew that it would be VERY useful for me in the long run. I actually learned mandarin formally in mandarin course when I was a child and also at my junior high but now I barely speak (or even understand it) since I stopped learning it. I really regret my decision to stop learning it back then and then I recently decided to re-learn it . I believe regardless of your opinion about China, it is beneficial to learn Mandarin because it will help you to open up more future career chances.