Many of us use them several times a day without really noticing. And yet the way we behave in lifts, or elevators as they are known in the US, reveals a hidden anxiety.
"Most of us sort of shut down.
"We walk in. We press the button. We stand perfectly still."
Taking the lift could be the least memorable part of your journey to work, but Dr Lee Gray of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte has made it his business to scrutinise this overlooked form of public transportation. People refer to him as "the Elevator Guy".
"The lift becomes this interesting social space where etiquette is sort of odd," he explains. "They are socially very interesting but often very awkward places."
Conversations that have been struck up in the lobby tend to be extinguished quite quickly in the thick atmosphere of the office elevator. We walk in and usually turn around to face the door.
If someone else comes in, we may have to move. And here, it has been observed that lift-travellers unthinkingly go through a set pattern of movements, as predetermined as a square dance.
On your own, you can do whatever you want - it's your own little box.
If there are two of you, you take different corners. Standing diagonally across from each other creates the greatest distance.
When a third person enters, you will unconsciously form a triangle (breaking the analogy that some have made with dots on a dice). And when there is a fourth person it's a square, with someone in every corner. A fifth person is probably going to have to stand in the middle.
Now we are in uncharted territory. New entrants to the lift will need to size up the situation when the doors slide open and then act decisively. Once in, for most people the protocol is simple - look down, or examine your phone.
Why are we so awkward in lifts?
"You don't have enough space," says Professor Babette Renneberg, a clinical psychologist at the Free University of Berlin.
"Usually when we meet other people we have about an arm's length of distance between us. And that's not possible in most elevators, so it's a very unusual setting. It's unnatural."
In such a small, enclosed space it becomes vital, she says, to act in a way that cannot be construed as threatening, odd or in any way ambiguous. The easiest way to do this is to avoid eye-contact.
But perhaps there is more to it than just social awkwardness.
"In the back of our minds we are a little anxious," says Nick White, an office worker in New York who was unfortunate enough to be trapped in a lift for 41 hours.
Nick White was trapped in a lift in his office building for 41 hours. |
"We don't like to be locked into a place. We want to get out of the elevator as soon as possible, because, you know, it's a creepy place to be."
During his ordeal, he began to think of another enclosed space that lurks at the back of our minds - a tomb.
It would be understandable if White refused ever to step in a lift again. But if you work in a city built on a vertical plane, and if you have aspirations above being a receptionist, that isn't an option.
"I certainly remember what happened to me every time I go in one," he admits. "It's part of the commute, the part you have the least control over."
Elevator Guy Lee Gray agrees that a sense of disempowerment is the main cause of lift anxiety.
"You're in a machine that's moving, over which you have no control. You cannot see the elevator engine, you don't know how it's working," he says.
This sense of passivity in the hands of a machine may become more pronounced as we enter the age of buttonless "smart" elevators.
After swiping through security or touching a central control panel, travellers are directed to a lift that has been programmed to stop at their floor, removing the need for any further commands. The system is designed to cut down on unnecessary stops, but although more efficient, some people find the experience unnerving.
Regardless of the qualms and anxieties associated with lifts, Gray is adamant that they are safer than cars - and significantly safer than escalators.
"It is in in fact of one of the safest forms of transportation if you look at the billions of miles that lifts travel every year and the very, very small number of accidents."
We all know this, which is why we continue to take lifts every day, despite our anxieties.
"We have learned that we can take an elevator and it is safe to do so," says Renneberg. "So in a way it's a triumph of rationalism over our more animalistic instincts."
This pleasing thought - that we become more sophisticated by travelling in lifts - is perhaps one to ponder next time you get in one.
Just don't, whatever you do, start a conversation about it.
Taken from the BBC HERE.
It is not something we can deny anymore. Whatever that has been said in the blog post. We tend to just keep quiet and stare at the ceiling or at our own phones in a lift. Although some people choose to slowly scan through the whole lift and observe how every other person in the lift acts. It’s nothing new. Let’s not talk only about the situation in lifts, even in our daily lives. For example, when we sit on a bench in a park, we unconsciously choose to sit at the edge of the bench. Then someone comes over and decides to sit on the exact same bench. Even though we are already sitting at the edge, we sometimes just try to move even further from the stranger sitting on the other side of the bench, while thinking, “Why can’t he sit on another bench?” The same thing applies when we are in a lift. We enter the lift and stand on one of the corners in the lift, and when someone else enters, we tend to shift even further into the corner of the lift, thinking, “Why can’t she take the next lift?” The awkwardness that hangs in the air sometimes can be suffocating, especially if it’s someone you know. Being in a small room that moves up and down by itself, while being with someone that you know, our relationship with that person doesn’t necessarily help decrease the awkwardness, or sometimes, it worsens the situation instead. Just imagine being in the same lift as your boss, good luck with that. But still, even with all that, we still use the lift as the main mode of transport up and down buildings.
ReplyDeleteAlan wrote:
Delete"For example, when we sit on a bench in a park, we unconsciously choose to sit at the edge of the bench. Then someone comes over and decides to sit on the exact same bench. Even though we are already sitting at the edge, we sometimes just try to move even further from the stranger sitting on the other side of the bench, while thinking, “Why can’t he sit on another bench?”"
This spot-on observation made me laugh!
It is very common that people who enter lifts immediately turn quiet and it is very common in people to find themselves in awkward places whenever they are in a lift with a stranger. It gets even more awkward when you enter a lift alone and there are already a group of people inside talking with each other. The moment you enter the lift, it becomes dead silence and your anxiety rises. Everyone has different experiences in a lift. The awkwardness is certainly inevitable. Like mentioned in the article, a person tends to avoid eye contact or just simply look at their phones even though they have nothing to do on their phones. This is because they want to avoid the awkward smiles and awkward talks that some people actually experience in lifts. Other than that, people could also feel anxious in lifts because of the possibility. There are many times where people are stuck in lifts. This may raise anxiety to a person. People don’t know what will happen because they can’t control the machine that controls the lift. However, despite all the awkwardness and anxiety experienced by people, a lift is still very mobile and an efficient transportation.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, if a couple of people enter a crowded lift on any given floor and continue to talk to each other loudly, that would probably seem to most people to be odd behaviour.
DeleteEverything in this article is absolutely right for me before I do not realize that I have been feel or acting awkward in the lift. But, after reading this article I sort of go back to the memory when I am taking the lift. I may not be afraid about taking the lift, but there is this little bad thought that sometimes bothers me when I’m using the lift. The feeling of nescience about how this lift works sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable in the lift. Also, when there is someone I do not know in the same lift, I feel very awkward because when I am alone in that lift I feel very comfortable like it is my own house, but when there is a stranger I feel like I have zero clue about how to act in that lift. The thing that I usually do when I am in that situation is looking at my phone, looking at all the buttons in the lift, or simply just standing still with my head down. Before I have no idea about the safety of a lift, but this article shocks me because the author said that lift is one of the safest forms of transportation because I usually think that lift is not safe and has a high risk of falling. Maybe, after reading this article I will have less anxiety about taking the lift.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the feeling of being unsafe is what makes people quiet and nervous when they are in lifts.
DeleteWhen I first came to Yogyakarta in 1991, there weren't all that many buildings tall enough to need lifts!
ReplyDeleteThe so called "awkwardness" when we're in a lift is inevitable. Once at 12 PM midnight when me and a bunch of my friends just returned from the movie theater, we walked towards a lift, there we found a lift packed with lots of people and then when we entered the lift, surprisingly one of my friend farted and the smell was so disgusting all of the people in the lift was closing their nose. It was a pretty horrible experience to be honest. I had another awkward lift moment when me and my girlfriend entered a lift with a pair of couple making out, as soon as the door was opened their facial expression was pretty hilarious, I couldn't even make a straight face at the moment and it was somewhat a memorable moment with my girlfriend. To be honest I would rather use the stair than facing those awkward lift moments ever again. But I was surprised with the fact that lift is one of the safest forms of transportation, all of my anxiety about blackouts when I entered a lift or the lift is malfunctioning when we're on a lift is pretty much gone.
ReplyDeleteIt can’t be denied that lift is a box with a very strong awkward vibes. For me I would rather take an elevator rather than taking lift, even if I have to go to the 8th floor. Taking lift increase my anxiety and my head will be filled with what if’s thought. What if suddenly there’s a fire or what if the lift stop working. I don’t like taking lift even if I’m alone in that moving box, because in every lift there’s CCTV and that increase my awareness. What if I did something embarrassing and people see it unintentionally. By the way I think I’m quite different because if I’m alone in the lift I would still choose to stand right in front of the control panels so that it would be easier for me to control what’s going on with the lift.I usually play with my phone when I’m in the lift but if the lift its full of people I would rather stare at the ceilings or look at a random brochure. But no matter what happens, I think lift is still very useful even if there’s escalator or stairs.
ReplyDeleteWhen you entered the lift, its like the time is stopped. You could get really hyped before entering the lift and immediately become quiet in the elevator. It is a strange feeling when we are in the elevator especially when there are people in there. I had this one experience when my friends and I were on our way to our friend’s birthday party on a rooftop of a hotel. We were just joking and laughing arround when we were on our way to get into the elevator. Then suddenly there was a young couple who are arguing on each other. Suddenly the atmosphere turn drastically from cheerfull to dead silent. The couple still arguing even after the elevator door’s are closed. When the lift start going up the couple then stop arguing and all of us did not spoke a single word. The couple then go out of the elevator at the 3rd or 4th floor. After the couple went out of the lift, we still did not spoke a single word like we do not know each other. It is a really strange and awkward experience for me because how could we become silent after we just joking and messing around like that. It is even weirder because at the time we go out of the elevator, we just start joking around as we were before we entered the lift like there is nothing happened on the elevator. The momentum was like stopped when we get in the lift and continues as soon as we go out of the lift. Its like when you are in the middle of streaming a movie and just getting really into the movie but then the connection was off and the movie stopped and then the excitment is paused. But when the connection were already stable the movie continues aswell as the excitement. It really a strange experience to just pause a scene!
ReplyDeleteAllow me to present my own analysis or my perspective regarding this lift matter. I can think of a few reasons why do we behave oddly in lifts. Why is it dead silence inside of a lift? I look at it this way. When I’m alone or with someone I know, a friend or family maybe. I see lift as a private property. But once another person comes in, it changed to a public property where there are certain rules or etiquette that I need to obey. Just like when you are on any others public transportations.
ReplyDeleteWhy do we feel awkward? There is just not enough room and people in it. When you’re on the train even in rush there is still enough space and a lot of people making it feel less awkward. But on a lift, the amount of space and people massively decreased, hence the awkward feeling. And the smaller and intimate the place is, the more awkward it will be. I was reading Alan’s post where he wrote "For example, when we sit on a bench in a park, we unconsciously choose to sit at the edge of the bench. Then someone comes over and decides to sit on the exact same bench. Even though we are already sitting at the edge, we sometimes just try to move even further from the stranger sitting on the other side of the bench, while thinking, “Why can’t he sit on another bench?”" No matter how big is the park, the bench its self is a small space.
Another example is let’s say you are going to the men’s room. There’s three urinals and the most left urinal is being used. I bet you that you will not use the middle one (unless you’re a psycho). It is like playing a game of chess. That’s why you should always use the middle one when all three is empty. Checkmate.
Almost every person has already experienced what it's like to be in an elevator for at least once in their lifetime. The elevator itself is very small, and if there are more than three people, it will somehow feel so crowded. The fact that different strangers are being put in a small room with tight spaces is a completely different atmosphere. Different people have their different ways to encounter this situation, and for me, I always try to find a way to break the awkwardness. For instance, when entering a lift with a person in it, or vise versa, I would try to smile every time they look at my face. However, this way is not applicable for every situation as some people may take the smile as a weird sign and would just make the situation even more awkward. I am not the type of person that has the courage to start a small conversation with a stranger in a lift and I don't feel like it is necessary. Instead of trying to make useless conversation, I try to look busy and play with my phone even though there's nothing to do. To be more specific, I like to turn my brightness up and down while waiting for the door to open on my chosen floor. Despite its awkward situation, I still think that lifts are very helpful for everyone as the only effort we need to put on is clicking the floor number button.
ReplyDeleteEverybody that I know has been in this very position before, as the article states that one the reason is because we have no control over it and it sorts of scares people to be in there for a long period of time even though this is one of the safest ways of travel. I find that particular quote very interesting and very true in a way, as one of the other safest way of travel is flying in an airplane, there are very few incidents but some people are scared of flying as this might be because they have little to no control at all, also because they feel like they are trapped and fell claustrophobic, as these things apply to the usage of lifts, the awkward atmosphere is because we are forcefully put in a small room with stranger we might never even met before and have no control of our personal space as everybody is in each other's personal space.
ReplyDeleteI strongly agree and I can relate to this article. I can feel the awkward atmosphere everytime I’m with strangers in the lift or even when I’m alone. I think almost everyone will agree with this arcticle because we often see that no matter how many people were in it, the lift was extremely quiet. The fact we are stuck in a small place with stangers also maybe one of the reasons why we feel nervous and awkward everytime we are in a lift. People are sometimes afraid of taking a lift because they think about the possibility the lift might stop or breakdown, while in fact the lift is one of the safest forms of transportation. However, a lift is very important for us now, just imagine going up the stairs to reach the 22nd floor. No matter how awkward and unsafe people think about taking the lift, people will still take it.
ReplyDeleteElevators are always so unnerving to me, that’s why I would almost always take the escalator. It’s not that I’m scared that it would suddenly snap or something, it’s more about the atmosphere inside the elevator itself. Whenever I step into one, the mood instantly changes from this bright, happy feeling that I felt outside and it suddenly changes to this grim feeling inside the elevator. Especially when you’re alone and your phone is dead, so you just have to stare at the abyss. The sometimes-dim lighting inside an elevator – which in itself usually is an actual, opaque box – also adds to this grim feeling that I’m describing. I do think that personal space is a contribution to this awkwardness, since all of us who never knew each other had to stand together so close. It feels like someone is invading our private space, so in turn we just want to get out as fast as possible. In an elevator, I usually stand at the back; for no reasons really, other than the fact that I want to make those who just entered the elevator easier and don’t have to look for available space. So, another awkward thing if you like to stand at the back is, when the elevator is crowded, but your floor is there so you have to get out quickly. That happens to me pretty often and I have had a few incidences where I missed my floor because people didn’t want to move at all. In the end, elevators have definitely made our lives easier and it is indeed very safe, incidents are rare. Even though I don’t really like elevators much, I will continue to use it in the future.
ReplyDeleteI do believe that elevator rides can be interesting yet awkward sometimes. Have you ever seen those cliché elevator scenes in movies where the characters ‘fall in love at first sight’ when they met in an elevator for the first time? Their encounter might have started in an awkward manner but that encounter has the power to change their life or even start a new love story between them. I find it really interesting how the aforementioned encounter does happen in real life and people actually start a relationship from that kind of encounter.
ReplyDeleteHowever, it is also common for elevator rides to be plain awkward and uncomfortable. This happens specifically when you have to squish yourself in an elevator full of strangers impatiently waiting to get off on their destinated floor. Another dreadful ride is when you are stuck there with a sketchy looking man that eyes you from head to toe. I do not know if this happens an awful lot to other people out there, but I dread those rides the most.
So, my anxiety of taking lift is based on my childhood event. I was about 8 years old back then with my cousin that still 5 years old. I can’t remember it vividly but I know that it has something to do with lift. We just played inside that thing, then suddenly it was close on its own. We were going down to the first floor and it was just two of us. Being separated from our parents was like a disaster on that time. So, when the article said that we are anxious because we only have a little control on how the lift works, it is so accurate. As I enter that machine, my memory from past incident comes up and sometimes I think how if we stuck on the lift or it get damaged. Playing phone, in my opinion, is not to avoid social conversation, but rather to kill the time. It will help us to get to the destination floor without focusing too much on something uncertain.
ReplyDelete