In the not-so-distant past, people turned on their televisions for entertainment and information. However, with the growing dominance of the internet, more people have abandoned conventional televisions and are relying on mobile gadgets.
Raditya Nugraha, a 28-year-old media company employee, does not have a television in his rented room in Jakarta.
Having no television does not bother him at all. Raditya can access anything he wants from his smartphone and tablet. He often goes on YouTube for soccer and music-related content and Netflix to binge-watch his favourite sci-fi series, like Stranger Things and Dark.
Indonesian television channels, he says, offer nothing but "silliness". He points out popular reality shows that actually deliver scripted and staged content.
“Even if I own a television in the future, I'll make sure it is a smart TV that can access YouTube, Netflix and such," he said.
A media researcher at television watchdog Remotivi, Firman Imaduddin says media experts have long predicted that mobile gadgets will take over conventional television’s dominance.
"We just don't know when exactly it will happen. But it seems that it’ll happen one day," he said Monday, citing that the low-quality of television programs was among several reasons why people are abandoning the tube.
Television, which was introduced in the late 1920s, had been the primary medium of information and entertainment in past decades. In 1996, the United Nations General Assembly even proclaimed Nov. 21 World Television Day to mark television's major role in presenting different issues that largely affect people.
But entering the 21st century, internet-connected gadgets such as smartphones, tablets and laptops have taken over television’s role, providing easy access for users.
Moreover, mobile gadgets allow users to do almost anything – from chatting with friends, ordering takeout, playing games and even finding a date.
The rising dominance of gadgets is clearly reflected in Digital 2019 Indonesia, a report by London-based media company We Are Social. According to the report, Indonesians spend an average of eight hours and 36 minutes a day surfing the internet, and only two hours and 52 minutes watching television.
Indonesia had 355 million active mobile gadgets in 2019, almost a 70 percent increase from 210 million in 2011. The number exceeds the country’s population of 264 million people, meaning that a certain portion of the population owns more than one mobile gadget.
Around 150 million Indonesians are connected to the internet, the research stated.
For Raditya, his gadgets are his everything.
“You'll only see me away from my phone or tablet when I’m asleep.”
He watches videos on YouTube until midnight, which often causes him to wake up late.
Children have also become addicted to gadgets.
Merry, 45, initially gave each of her children a smartphone to help her keep in contact with them when she was at work. But the children now find it hard to put down their phones.
The bank employee is concerned that the excessive use of gadgets could adversely affect her children’s health and academic performance.
"It's kind of hard to wake them up for school because they might use their gadgets until midnight," Merry said.
Clinical psychologist Dwi Endrianti said separately that gadget addiction could negatively affect children's growth. "They might behave aggressively and destructively when their parents try to separate them from their gadgets."
Experts suggested that parents find alternative activities for their children. It could be reading or even raising a pet.
Bandung Mayor Oded M. Danial is going the extra mile in his attempt to keep children away from gadget screens. His administration plans to distribute thousands of chicks for male students and plants for female students to keep them busy.
However, he has backtracked on the statement, saying that the program was mainly about teaching children about entrepreneurship. Children who managed to raise the chickens could sell them for Rp 25,000 (US$1.78) at the market, the mayor claimed.
Taken from HERE.

I do agree with this article because it reflects heavily on my life. When I was ten years old, I always looked forward to going home after school to watch a television cartoon. I do that as a habit for five years, but since I got a new phone from my parents, that habit suddenly changed. That time my friends always talking about Youtube creators. Because of that, I was so curious about this Youtube thing. So one day, I do some research about this Youtube platform, and I was so intrigued. I spend hours watching videos after videos on my mobile phone. Since then, my life has changed from the television world to the youtube world until now. However, back then, Youtube is not as popular as now, and because of that, there aren't lots of audiences. Moreover, nowadays, smartphones are getting cheaper and more kids under twelve years old already own it because of the rapidly developing technology. Not only that, but television programs also are not produced for children. So it is not uncommon that we see children nowadays to rather watch Youtube instead of television.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with the statement on the article saying that watching TV is a thing of the past. Because a lot of people these days use smartphone to do a lot of things. The development of technology and the invention of smartphone has changed the world. In the past there are still a lot of people who watch TV because TV offers various kind of programs that can entertain us when we were bored. A lot of people also get a lot of news from TV. TV is the fastest platform to deliver news and information before the smartphone era. Nowadays the popularity and the function TV has been replaced by smartphone. With smartphone we can do a lot of things like chatting, watching movie, gathering a lot of information with ease, searching for something in google, and even we can work with our smartphone. Beside a lot of benefit that we get from smartphone, smartphone also have the negative side such as get addicted to smartphone, lack of social interaction in real life, etc. Smartphone have a lot of benefit for us but smartphone also have the negative part, so we have to use smartphone wisely and with responsibility.
ReplyDeleteI myself find this to be very true. In my household we have never watched mainstream media as my father has said to me several times that these modern programs and soap operas of today contain substance of little quality and should be avoided. This is a different case than when I visited my grandfather in Ireland, he used to always have the TV on or the “tele” as he would call it and would frequently watch programs on it even if they were repeated. Even though the TV has been an integral part of society since the 20th century, with the invention of the internet the TV has become less and less relevant in today’s society. Of course, we still have the TV for the occasional movie night and Fawlty Towers session but most of what is available today on the TV is also on the internet free to access at our leisure. With each generation that passes the influence of TV wanes and gives rise to more modern forms of entertainment and news through the internet.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with this article. Nowadays portable gadgets such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops rule the market. These days people much prefer portable content which they can access whenever and wherever. I myself follow this trend of portable gadgets as I realize over the years my family’s TV gets used less. The TV in my house is usually only used to watch the news of big events and tragedies such as the presidential election. I believe that with so much content in our gadgets it's not hard to get addicted very fast especially for little kids. With entertainment so close to us i feel like it's getting harder to differentiate the digital world from the real world as it is no longer just a place to run away. I myself am addicted to gadgets as it's very hard to find something better to do then consume content off the internet all day. I try really hard to not be on my gadgets all day but with the COVID-19 pandemic it has just gotten worse. I hope someday we will all be more focused on the real world then on our gadgets
ReplyDeleteI don't watch television. I don't watch Indonesian terrestial TV, although I used to many years ago. I would watch it as a part of my efforts to learn Indonesian. Once my language skills were enough for me to understand what was on the TV, I realized that I didn't really find it very interesting. I don't even have a TV set downstairs in my house and the one upstairs is used by one of my sons to watch certain cable TV channels. My 'watching-TV-type activity' is simply watching good TV series which I download and then watch on my PC.
ReplyDeleteI misspelt "terrestrial"! Insert HORRIFIED emoticon here!
DeleteI agree that nowadays, people use their gadget rather than television for entertainment purposes. I also used to watch TV when I was still a kid. But as I grow up, I find out that there are a lot of education and entertainment videos or podcasts that are suitable for me on my gadget. I personally think that Indonesian television channels are getting sillier each year. Some of the programs are not educating, but only gossiping. That can be the reason people stop watching TV. In other way, if they still make those kind of programs, it means that there are also people who love the programs. So, we cannot blame it only to the Indonesian TV channels. Well, maybe it will be wiser and better for everyone if Indonesian television channels try to make an improvement on some of their programs, so that families can watch TV together again, and not always on their own gadget all the time.
ReplyDeleteI am still watching television regularly though I have a smartphone. There are some programs that I can only watch by television such as Formula 1, MotoGP, Football, and also Masterchef Australia. I also watching some news program from CNN Indonesia, Kompas TV, and Metro Tv to keep me updated with the current situation in Indonesia. I have to admit that I rarely watch Indonesia TV program, except the news channel. Mostly I watch the foreign channel like NatGeo, BBC earth, etc. I just feel like the Indonesian channel mostly have a trash or dramatic show that has zero value for the viewers. So, I get it why people choose their gadgets over television, because in gadgets we have wider and more choices, while on television there are only certain choices. But, I do agree that gadgets usually cause addiction, because we tend to use our gadget over time, that it affects our daily life. I feel like my television help me to become less addicted to smartphone, because when I watch a television program I tend to stay away from my phone and focus on the television program that I watch. Well, at the end of the day both television and smartphone have their advantages and disadvantages, all we can do is use it wisely.
ReplyDeleteRaditya’s habits is very reflective of generation Z and millennials as a whole. We just can’t get enough of the internet and the convenient, on-demand entertainment it provides. Nowadays, many people feel that sitting down and watching TV is frankly quite boring and frustrating, because aside from news channels, TV is filled with silly, non-impactful shows designed to just fill time.
ReplyDeleteBecause of this, many people from the younger generations move to Netflix, YouTube and other online platforms to entertain, and occasionally educate themselves. This does however pose a few problems. Many parents now can’t be bothered, or are too busy to entertain and take care of their children for long periods of time. As a solution, they just stick an iPad or smartphone in front of their children as a convenient, easy way out.
Giving young children this much exposure to gadgets very early in their lives, will form bad habits going into their future. They become very reliant to their gadgets as a source of entertainment, and usually lack the motivation to pursue other hobbies - besides laying on a bed and watching Stranger Things.
Young adults, including myself, are also pretty addicted to these gadgets. Some of us stay up till midnight watching shows and endlessly clicking through YouTube recommended videos. This messes-up our sleeping schedule, and makes us sleepy and less productive the next day. Frankly, gadget use is unavoidable nowadays, we just need to figure out a way to balance our gadget using habits, with other, more productive activities.
The fact that Raditya doesn't have a television in his rented room doesn't surprise me that much, because we have entered the digital era, almost all the items we want or the information we want to know are available on the internet and we can easily surf the internet. I can very much relate with that situation because at my house, television almost be a wall decoration if I don't watch basketball or volleyball matches. Even though I watch it through a website, it still counts as watching the TV isn’t it?.
ReplyDeleteThere are still many regions in Indonesia that cannot access the internet. At my house sometimes the network is very slow even though I use Indihome, no offense. Back to the topic, I agree that mobile gadgets will take over conventional television's dominance, but I dont think it will happen any time soon or 10 years from now. Growing up, every time my family gathers there’s always time when we watch TV together and talk about what we are watching. So TV plays a pretty big role so that we keep talk to each other and don't keep playing with our own mobile gadgets.
Indonesian TV channels are no longer a market for some people. Do you know that there is a conlict between a digital content creator and TV celebrity because they tried to inspill “silly contents” to digitial platform specially YouTube. Edcuated people or generation in Indonesia are starting to realize that Indonesian TV channels are giving negative contents to the people and they want to be a part of it. In my opinion this is one of the biggest cause of why Indonesian people don’t have a good knowledge about everything. The newest news about this is the company wanted to sue YouTube and other digital platform company because they said, there are no regulations for them. Of course we know that this act shows how desperate Indonesia TV companies are. They’ve lost their market and they don’t want to admit it or even change the programs to a more educative and attractive people could watch. Sadly there are millions of Indonesian people who are classified as low class economy society that depends on TV. Most of them can’t even buy a gadget, we are lucky that we have the capability to watch YouTube, subscribe to Netflix etc. In the other hand, the higher economic society chose digital platform simply because they can surf through the internet watching anything they want, plus digital platform have what they called as AI (Artificial Intelligence) that can provide contents you like basically from most contents you have searched.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn’t agree completely. For generation like myself, yes, I do agree that gadgets such as smartphones, tablet or laptop are way more convenient than TVs. But some people including my dad would just sit on the couch and press the remote after a long day of work. His favourite shows are mainly cooking show. He finds it satisfying to look at how different ingredients are put together into something that he felt like he could smell and taste, especially desserts. He would also watch the news from CNN or Bloomberg through TV. At least for him, pressing the “On” button and scrolling through different channel was pretty much straightforward. I also agree that Indonesian television programmes such as sinetron are just straight up irrelevant. They also have bad image quality but reports from Kontan proved that there are still many Indonesians are still watching them. From a survey made by Kontan, one their reasons of watching sinetron is that the plot sometimes reflects their everyday obstacle. That is why they find it relatable and enjoying. The advancement of technology is inevitable; hence, local TV programmes are complaining about bringing Netflix to Indonesia. From what I see, TV is “going” to be a thing of the past. For now, its still up there for at least the next 20 year or so.
ReplyDeleteTo me, it is not really a thing of the past. I still enjoy watching TV but mostly not Indonesian programs. I enjoy watching BBC Knowledge, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and those kind of stuffs. Even though some of the contents there can be accessed by mobile gadget, I find it unenjoyable to watch from my mobile phone. It is because if I watch TV, I can sit down and relax without having to hold my gadget. I also don’t have to look for the series or episode, I just turn on the TV, select the channel and watch it. If I want to look for a specific episode, I will look it up in YouTube. To watch films, I also watch it on TV too. I don’t look up what film I want to watch, I just watch the film that is served on the channel. If I like it, I will continue to watch it, if I don’t like it, I’ll look at other channels. But if I’m looking for a specific film, I might look it up on the internet from my mobile phone or laptop.
ReplyDeleteThe article also said that children become addicted to gadget. I very much agree to that. It is sad and frustrating to me that my little brother who is only 6 years old is already addicted to gadget. From the moment he wakes up, his gadget is what he looks for and continue to use it until he sleeps again. My parents have tried to raise pets for alternative activities but it hasn’t work.
Nowadays your smartphone can literally do anything. You can watch movies, call people, you can even shop on your smartphone. TV on the other hand, there is not much you can do with it. This, coupled with the fact that it is not mobile and you cannot really choose what you want to watch makes it not as relevant or needed as it was 20-30 years ago.
ReplyDeleteProbably some of you might think that smart TV is still somewhat relevant for today, because you can watch TV shows or movies on demand. But unless that you are a huge movie buff or that you live with your family/roommate, the only time you will use one is when you have a gathering of some sorts or a movie night, which begs the question, do you really want to spent $1000 on an item you will only use once a week or even month?
The answer to this may vary, but I personally think that the world is just not yet ready to let TV go, as irrelevant as it may be. Probably in the next 20-30 years, it will be a different story, but for now, the magic box is still sticking around.
We can't deny the fact that things happen people change, for instance (in this case) back when I was a kid I was motivated to run downstairs just to watch The Wiggles and sang to it non-stop but now as the existence of a device that fits perfectly in my pocket with many downloaded applications in it, I feel like I can get my entertainment whenever and wherever I like. To make it fair, my youngest sister barely watches the TV but use my mother device to watch Peppa Pig on YouTube. I truly believe that there are going to be two chances where “the magic box” is still to have existed or even extinct.
ReplyDeleteDepends on the creators of TV’s program, are they viewing this as a hinder or an opportunity? If I was a boss in one of TV’s program, I wouldn’t waste my time forwarding a rule to the government where other platforms such as Netflix should be restricted but it is a shining moment of innovation where I should ask for society’s opinions on what sort of entertainment they like would watch. This is where creative minds should create new entertainment, not stopping other innovations.
I the era of internet, it becomes more difficult for the TV to get users as much as when there are no internet our touchpad devices. The growth of advertising on television tends to be temporarily stagnant while digital views are taking off. In my opinion, I think TV maybe still relevant nowadays but not for entertainment nor for the advertisement. Yet people would still always to open the news program on the television to get the recent news. Other than that I think people are less interested in other programs. Yet, people are now still using television for the background sound in the living room or bedroom so the room is feels less lonely. Millenials in other hand, would not likely to spent much money to buy a TV while they can get much more information on their smart phones or laptop. Yet it doesn't mean that in the future people would not buy TV. TV is always going to be a "must owned" item. Not only because of it's usefullness, but because it's also a symboll of financial freedom. Howcome? We can see that if a person have a big screen flat TV, he/she would likely to labeled wealthy. The item itself would becomes the luxurious furniture. So I think people would always buy a TV in the future.
ReplyDeleteI used to find watching the TV superfluous. Why wouldn’t I? I have my phone and my laptop to provide me with both entertainment and information. Why would there ever be a need for a TV? The revelation dawned upon me a few months ago.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I would enter the family room of my house, my parents would be there, watching TV. Due to schoolwork and extra-curricular activities, I wouldn’t usually be able to join them and instead would return to my room to work. This routine has existed for as far back as I can remember – until this summer.
Unlike most summers where my family and I would travel for vacation, we stayed put due to COVID-19. It being summer, I didn’t have much work to do, and most of my friends had left for university. I was struggling to keep myself occupied and entertained. That’s when I realized the power a TV could have in bringing people together.
I had always wanted to watch a particular television series, but was unable to because of the limited free time I had during my high school days. However, one day, summertime boredom hit me hard. I would have found solace in my computer if it had not been for the fact that it was being fixed at that time. I was desperate for something to do. As I frantically looked around the house for something, anything that would bring me entertainment, my eyes landed on the TV.
I felt like I had been living under a rock this whole time. Up until that point, I had been consuming content on a small, lower-resolution screen. My computer could, at times, not even handle the bright and vivid colors of certain pieces of media due to its more simplistic screen. In addition to these technical improvements, my small laptop screen could only admit an audience of one. TVs have big screens, which allowed for my family to join me and they often would, sitting down beside me to watch whatever program I had put on.
My mother would make quick snarky comments; I would laugh; my father would join in; my brother would shake his head in embarrassment at times. I loved it.
So, even though I used to be a firm believer that TVs would become a relic for new generations, I now believe that that could never happen. TVs are not only a source of entertainment and information, but they are also a source of bonding, a source of shared emotions: a way of spending time with your loved ones.
I found this article very interesting but, I am not totally agreed with this article. It is not so in the distant past that people turned their televisions for entertainment and information. People nowadays still turned their televisions for information and entertainment, because television programs are more reliable than the internet. News that was showed on the television programs have been checked by experts.
ReplyDeleteI personally agreed with the idea of giving a child gadgets because it is a privilege for millennials to have the technology that we have right now. Children that uses gadgets wisely will evolve better than others but, it is theirs parents duty to control the children’s behavior on the internet. In my opinion parents can give their child curfew on gadgets so that the children won’t play with theirs gadget too much. And parent can use child lock on theirs children phone so that their children won’t be able to access inappropriate content.
I was born in the early 2000’s, so I sometime still watch television programs. I admit that there are programs that I do not like, but there is a joy in waiting for a TV show that is about to come. Gadget like smartphones offer tons of content that you can watch for free anytime or anywhere as long as you have a good internet connection, but they can never replace the feeling of excitement in waiting a TV show that is about to be shown in the next five minutes. Or so I thought.
ReplyDeleteApplication/website like YouTube and Twitch offer streaming programs that could make people excited for the next streamed content. The joy of waiting can also be implemented in regular upload of videos made by content creators. Regular upload can range from once to seven times a week as long as the upload time is consistent. There are also rare occasions where some content creators upload their content randomly, but still successfully produce the excitement from the viewers.
This article is very relatable for me. The internet take over everything including television. We can watch television programs, Netflix, YouTube, and other entertainments in our gadget or laptop. I used to watch television every day, I remember watching Indonesian series when I went home from school and cartoons on Sunday morning. As I remember, television programs nowadays aren’t that interesting like it used to. This days, Indonesian television series are tacky with basic storyline. So, it is not surprising that our generation ditch television for gadget. However, we should use gadget wisely by not wasting our time on it and forgetting to socialize with people from the real world.
ReplyDeleteThis article is an interesting look on how the world operates today, especially in terms of information accessibility and the overall benefits that individuals gain from owning something as simple as a laptop or a smartphone. The most intriguing part is how this slow transition from conventional television channels to streaming services is surprisingly reminiscent of how the film industry recieved a decline as more people are transitioning to home television over movie theaters back in the 1920s. Both cases seem to demonstrate the human's constant need to improve and make everything easier to access. Its noteworthy, however, that experts at the time predicted the so-called end of the movie industry and yet the industry never really died. It would stand to reason, then, that even though it may seem like streaming services are replacing conventional television, theres a chance that they will persist all the same.
ReplyDelete“Television is a technology of the past” is a statement that I completely stand with. The convenience of mobile gadgets is just extraordinary when compared to regular television because it is simply mobile. I believe that human society and technology is developing towards convenience and simplicity, and mobile gadget proves that statement as it is much easier for people to access content from mobile gadgets as it is from a regular television. The contents present on the internet is also far more beneficial as the users have the choice to look for what they want or need rather than being stuck on a programme you can’t change the subject of.
ReplyDeleteThe drawback of the internet however affects the younger generation the most as they are still not capable of using their gadgets responsibly. This problem however is a reflection of the methods of ‘parenting’ parents use with their children. If the parents accustom their children with how to use their gadgets responsibly, then the children will be responsible with their actions.
I am agree with the arguments inside the article. I, myself, experience the transition between both times when television was the main source of information and entertainment and when gadget started to change the role of television itself. Ten years ago, I barely play any gadget and I entertain myself with cartoons on the television. But, nowadays, the game has changed for a full 180º. Instead of television, the main source of information and entertainment are mostly from gadgets. However, this kind of change is one of the effects of technology advancement. All kinds of information and entertainment are easily accessible on the internet. We also can sort and choose the type of informations and entertainment that we want to consume. On the other hand, the content in the television can’t be adjusted by our interests. Each TV Show has its own target consumer and when the ‘demand’ started to fall down, they will discontinue the show. So, all things are basically way simpler and efficient on the internet/gadget.
ReplyDeleteI felt this article. I don’t really watch TV for entertainment purposes, rather I watch it to watch news channels to know what is going on in the world at the moment. I feel like the information provided on TV is more reliable than the ones on the internet (especially with the rising prevalence of fake news these days), so that’s when the television comes handy. For entertainment, I do agree that gadgets serve a better function than TV – you can use social media, play games, and stream different shows. I also think the advertisements on TV take too long, and I’m just not patient enough to wait for the show to continue! All in all, I believe TV is still great for its news content, but for entertainment, I still prefer my gadget for the variety of content it provides.
ReplyDeleteThis article is right, I personally cannot even remember the last time I watched Tv. Must have been over a year ago. It’s just a lot more convenient to watch things on more portable devices, like my phone, as I can do it wrapped in a blanket in my air conditioned room. I find it nearly impossible to be able to stay outside my room where the Tv is, because it’s so hot and there are mosquitoes biting me all the time ugh.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that if you’re watching Tv channels you would have to wait for a certain time to watch a show you like is also a major turn off. I can watch anything I want anytime I want on my phone, why would I feel the need to watch it on my Tv?
Overall, traditional Tv is something that is definitely fading away, most of my friends also don’t watch Tv. However, I also know that older people such as my dad and my grandfather still do watch Tv on a regular basis, so at least Tv is still very useful to them. They also would not have to compete with me in choosing Tv channels like they did around 8 years ago, so, I see this as an absolute win.
Personally, i think the excessive use of gadgets will triumph the usage of television. We can do more things with our devices, thus being more productive. Our generation’s tasks and assignments revolves heavily around the internet as well, making television less relevant for us. TV advertisements are slowly fading away as well since the internet is proven to be the more effective one since it can reach more people at once. However, not all informations in the internet are legitimate, and television wins on this round since most channels are proven to be true
ReplyDeleteYes, our generation needs to have a good time management since we got carried away more easily because of the amount of distraction.
For me, I quiet agree that watching tv is a thing in the past. Right now there are many programs in the internet that can easily substitute the programs on tv. And as for myself I remembered when I was still a primary school student the tv really is something that is important to me because at that time social media arent as popular and useful as now. I would watch tv all day after I went home from school. Right now from as far as I remember I never touched the tv to watch a program, I only turn on the tv in my house to make the house isnt as silent as a cemetery. Because right now I have my phone that I can use to access different social media’s for my own personal purpose either I want to watch news on youtube or scroll the tiktok app to find funny stuffs.
ReplyDeleteI have three televisions inside my house and I honestly still watching on the legendary scripted dramas in Indonesia. Actually, I am not really a Youtube or a movie person as I tried to limit my consumption of information in media. I have experienced being so dizzy hitting my head up with a lot of news in the social media timeline. The thing that I like from TV is that for some people, they are getting more critical as they are 'awaken' from the scripted problems, such as politics and the roles of the elites. The content in the media are constructed perfectly click-bait and majority of them are not independent because of the current politic situation in the country. Let's go back to books, be objective in any situations, and have a good socialization with people!
ReplyDeleteThe article above is quite relatable for me and my siblings. We each have our own room with no television and it seems very fine. However, In order to replace the role of entertainment the tv gives, we instead use our gadgets such as smartphones or laptops in order to watch movies or tv series online. On the other hand, the only tv that is available in the house is in my mother’s room. Although there is one more TV on the first floor, neither of us have used it in the last couple of months. A little different from us, my mother sometimes goes and watches the TV when she comes home from work. In spite of that, the amount of time that she usually spends on watching TV is only 30 minutes, which then she continues to also watch Youtube from her phone with earphones on. This shows that not only our generation does this, but the changes of the digital era also affects older generations, or maybe some of it, like my mom. Furthermore, the disadvantages of TV that is not visible on the internet such as Youtube or Netflix is that it can't replay a certain scene and the advertisement is longer than the one in Youtube. As a consumer, we are asked to follow the TV show in a chronological order and we can't choose what show we want to watch. To conclude it all, I completely agree with the articles about how watching TV is a thing of the past, and I can reflect and relate it to myself and my family.
ReplyDeleteI really agree with the article above as the fast change in technological advancement has really changed how peoples live their lives. When I was a kid i used to really look forward to coming home and watching tv, I used to fight for the tv remote with my two sisters which is memories that I cherish to this day. But now everything has shifted from commercial television to online platforms that you can access any content that you want at any time. The demand has change and people's lives are changing, people in this day and age does not watch the tv for entertainment as they now can simply open the smartphones and access online platforms such as Netflix, Youtube etc. As also this has created a negative impact in society as people became addicted to their smartphones and dependent on them, so its best for us to use our smartphones wisely and be able to live freely!
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this article, I ask myself, when was the last time I watch television? And surprisingly, the last time I watch television for at least 30 minutes was four days ago. So, I somewhat agree that watching television is a thing of the past. Now we have more convenient way to enjoy our favourite show. For instance, there is Youtube, Netflix, and you can even watch some television program from your mobile device. This is probably the reason that some people avoid watching television. That is also my reasoning why I have not watched any television recently. However, there is still a lot of people that watch television to catch up with the daily news. Sometimes, it’s the only way to gain new information when problem occurs to the internet connection. Television today use different technology that prevent signal disturbance. Also, in some place, television is the only source of entertainment or information available since the internet connection cannot reach their place.
ReplyDeleteI used to watch TV everyday to watch TV everyday when I was a kid, but now I never even watch it anymore. I. agree with this article saying thagt TV is a thing in the past, we have the internet right now, we can find everything in it. We can choose what we want to watch unlike TV which has its own schedule we have to follow. Youtube and Netflix are more famous now, we can watch it on phones or tablet which is more practical than TV, we can bring it wherever we go. I actually realized that people are more interested in watching K-drama than watching Indonesian TV show, I think it’s because we knew that the quality of Indonesian TV shows are not as good as it used to be. However, people still have TVs in their houses and I think the producer of the TV channel should take their action to improve the quality of the TV show so people would not leave TV eventually.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with what the article is saying. These days people dont actually watch TV often due to the rapid development of technology. People usually use their gadgets such as their phones and tablets to watch movies or some videos in the internet. There are a lot of streaming services such as Netflix and Youtube, which can be easily access. Due to this convenience, a lot of people switch from television to gadgets. I actually relate a lot to this article since I rarely watch television and prefer to watch some shows or movies in Netflix or any other streaming services. There are much more choices and flexibility in watching shows or movies in the internet. Therefore Im not surprised that Raditya doesn’t have a television in his room since we have entered a digital era where we can access everything through our phones and tablets.
ReplyDeleteYeah, people are definitely not too interested in watching TV anymore. I fall to this category too, honestly. I only turn on the TV for the occasional football games, NET shows, or just to fill the room with noise. I much prefer watching clips in YouTube, or downloading a series from the internet.
ReplyDeleteI guess part of the reason not many people is interested is because there really is no quality TV shows nowadays. All everyone in the TV industry is interested in airing is either joke compilation shows, godawful dramas, and/or gimmicky reality TV. Really, the only ones interested in those shows is mostly middle-aged people who likes a bit too much drama. It doesn’t help that some shows just have really inappropriate scenes that didn’t get censored or regulated, but some cartoons get some of the most ridiculous censorship ever.
Until we can improve the quality of the shows aired, no one will want to ever watch local TV ever again.